Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 45 (A) Quilt Squares

As we have travel the countryside in Wisconsin, specifically Door County, we noted that some of the barns have large quilt squares mounted on the structure - either at the entrance to the barn or on the side of the barn.  They are stunning and very colorful!  I did some research, and found out that this practice is simply volunteer, and that the quilt squares are usually put on barns of historical significance or they are the preferred quilt square used by the quilter in the household.  Currently in the region, 45 barns have these quilt squares displayed.  We have seen ten of them.  I have posted them below for your viewing pleasure. 

Each square is 8 FT X 8 FT in size.  The Door County Art Council holds an annual tour of the Quilt Squares that I understand is always well attended and draws a lot of interest.  It is hoped that the squares will catch on and that the tour will grow!

I am not a quilter, nor am I versed in quilt patterns, so I would like some help from my followers that are quilters.  Having been in Jean Wehmeyers quilt shop in Port Lavaca, (Beefore It's a Quilt and More), I know about the star, pinwheel and compass patterns, but not well enough to be able to identify the patterns in these pictures.  (I don't want to be wrong!)  Let me know in the order they are presented, what the patterns is for each square, and I will edit the blog accordingly! Jean? Corliss? Anyone else?  Thanks for your help!

I hope all of you that do quilt, enjoy these pictures/patterns!

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

 8

9

10


No comments:

Post a Comment