Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 35 - 36 - Roller Coaster Ride

(We apologize for the lapse in blog postings - but we did not have access to wi-fi the last two evenings!)

Wednesday April 25th & Thursday, April 26th

We departed Honolulu Airport at 11:30 AM and arrived in Portland at 8:05 PM.  The flight on Alaska Airlines was probably one of the most disappointing flights we have ever had!  The seats were really close together, (no elbow room), and if you wanted something to eat, you had to pay for it!($$$$$) This is after paying for your flight ticket and $20 per bag for luggage (both weighed under 50 lbs.) Our seats were in the very rear of the plane, next to the restrooms, so we had a constant flow of "company" the whole flight  Add to that a very turbulent ride, bouncing on the runway when we landed, and you have the makings of a very unpleasant airplane ride!  (Pilot in training?)

We had to be at the airport early as Jeremy had to be back at Post for training asap, so he dropped us off at 7:00 AM and we had to wait until 8:30 for processing of our luggage and boarding passes at the Alaskan Airlines counter.  So we stood in line and waited.  Then we found out we had to run our luggage through the agricultural counter first before we went to process our luggage and boarding passess at the counter!  Somehow, I just knew this was an omen of things to come!  LOL  Soooooo, we get to security and they end up running Jim's wallet and his carry-on bag through security twice - not sure what they were looking for, but they finally cleared the wallet and the carry on bag. Now I was another story!  I get to security, run  through the full body screening, and something shows up in my back pocket.  There is nothing in my back pocket.  Nada.  They pat me down, check out the pocket and then decide to pull me aside and swab the palms of my hands with two pads and then ask me to step aside and wait for "test" results.  What? !? So I waited and finally the stone-faced TSA person comes up to me and says "Your good to go"  Okay, thank you very much!  I am sure I must match a profile, as this is not the first time I have been stopped at the security counter.......it will be a while before I fly again!  I know the TSA personnel have a job to do, and I respect that, however, I am getting paranoid about screenings......just saying.........

Our friends Joy and Joe Ritter picked us up at the airport in Portland, and once we told them we were hungry, we stopped for a late dinner. Thank you Joe and Joy! 

We spent the night at Joe and Joy's house and the next morning, after sleeping in,  we went to pick up our RV and took it to the Columbia River RV Park (we just love this park!), and set it up.   We had to wait until 4:30 for our friend Jim Cheskawich to get home from work so we could pick up the dogs.  We went and had our hair cut, picked up groceries, had lunch, and made sure all was in order for the dogs return. 

To say the dogs were happy to see us is an understatement! They were besides themselves.  They are staying pretty close to us,  making sure we don't get too far out of their sight!  Both are feeling better and we are thankful for Jim's wonderful attention to their needs while we were in Hawaii!

No pictures for this blog - although we miss Hawaii, we look forward to getting on the road again tomorrow, beginning our travels to the Great Lakes.

More forthcoming........





No comments:

Post a Comment